Enrollment and Attendance FAQs
Who is eligible to attend Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy?
Any student in grades K–12 who resides in Michigan is eligible for full-time enrollment.
Enrollment is limited for the 2016–2017 school year to 2,870 students.
Does Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy offer dual enrollment?
Yes. Students who have met the Michigan Merit Curriculum (MMC) graduation requirements and who have not aged out may participate in dual enrollment. Students can be enrolled in some college classes paid for by MGLVA, but the colleges and courses are subject to approval by the school.
How many of my children can I enroll in Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy?
Because MGLVA provides all the lesson plans and materials needed for grades K–12, many parents find it easy to enroll multiple children in the program.
What does it cost to attend Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy?
Since MGLVA is a public school program, there is no tuition. MGLVA provides a state-certified teacher and all instructional materials for the program. However, students and families will be responsible for providing some consumable materials (such as printer ink and paper).
What is the attendance policy?
Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy works with families toward a positive attendance record to meet their required number of 180 instructional days. The attendance responsibilities are as follows:
- Attendance is logged daily in the Online School by parent/ Learning Coach.
- Schedules may be blocked or flexible; however, attendance in each course needs to be logged each week.
- Extended family travel, except during normal school vacation periods, requires written notification and vacation contract approval by the Head of School or designee. This should be completed at least one week prior to the extended absence.
- All families must attend a Parent Orientation and the new students will attend the “Introduction to Online Learning” course via the online school.
- The family must maintain regular communication with the Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy teachers.
- Students and parents/learning coaches must check their e-mail, and phone messages daily.
- Students must attend all required Blackboard Collaborate Live sessions for direct instruction as directed by their teachers.
Can I take a vacation during the school year?
The school calendar includes school "holidays" or vacation time. Whenever possible, family vacations should align with school vacation days. Parents are encouraged to contact their teacher if they plan a vacation that does not coordinate with the school calendar.
Does Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy offer full- or part-time kindergarten?
Kindergarten is offered as a full-time option only. Kindergartners must be five years old before September 1 of the current school year to be eligible for the program.