Enrollment and Attendance FAQs
Who is eligible to attend Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy (MGLVA)?
Any student in grades K–12 who resides in Michigan is eligible for full-time enrollment.
Does MGLVA offer dual enrollment?
Yes. Students who have met the Michigan Merit Curriculum (MMC) graduation requirements and who have not aged out may participate in dual enrollment. Students can be enrolled in some college classes paid for by MGLVA, but the colleges and courses are subject to approval by the school.
How many of my children can I enroll in MGLVA?
Because MGLVA provides the lesson plans and materials needed for grades K–12, many parents find it easy to enroll multiple children in the program. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs.
What does it cost to attend MGLVA?
Since MGLVA is a public-school program, there is no tuition. MGLVA provides a state-certified teacher and instructional materials for the program. However, students and families will be responsible for providing some consumable materials (such as printer ink and paper).
What is the attendance policy?
MGLVA works with families toward a positive attendance record to meet their required number of 180 instructional days. The attendance responsibilities are as follows:
- Attendance is logged daily in the Online School by parent/ Learning Coach.
- Schedules may be blocked or flexible; however, attendance in each course needs to be logged each week.
- Extended family travel, except during normal school vacation periods, requires written notification and vacation contract approval by the Head of School or designee. This should be completed at least one week prior to the extended absence.
- All families must attend a Parent Orientation and the new students will attend the “Introduction to Online Learning” course via the online school.
- The family must maintain regular communication with the Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy teachers.
- Students and parents/learning coaches must check their e-mail, and phone messages daily.
- Students must attend all required Class Connect Live sessions for instruction as directed by their teachers.
Can I take a vacation during the school year?
The school calendar includes school "holidays" or vacation time. Whenever possible, family vacations should align with school vacation days. Parents are encouraged to contact their teacher if they plan a vacation that does not coordinate with the school calendar.
Does MGLVA offer full- or part-time kindergarten?
Kindergarten is offered as a full-time option only. Kindergartners must be five years old before September 1 of the enrolling school year to be eligible for the program.