Enrollment and Attendance FAQs
Who is eligible to attend Michigan Great Lakes Virtual Academy (MGLVA)?
MGLVA offers full-time enrollment for students in Young 5s through grade 12. Kindergarteners must be five years old before September 1 of the current year to be eligible for the program.
Does MGLVA offer dual enrollment?
Yes. Students who have met the Michigan Merit Curriculum (MMC) graduation requirements and who have not aged out may participate in dual enrollment. Students can be enrolled in some college classes paid for by MGLVA, but the colleges and courses are subject to approval by the school.
How many of my children can I enroll in MGLVA?
Because MGLVA provides the lesson plans and materials needed for grades Young 5s through 12, many parents find it easy to enroll multiple children in the program.
Does MGLVA offer full- or part-time developmental kindergarten?
MGLVA offers a Young 5s developmental kindergarten program solely as a full-time option. To be eligible, students must be 5 years old before December 1 of the enrolling school year.
What is the attendance policy?
- A parent or Learning Coach must log attendance daily in the Online School (OLS).
- Schedules may be blocked or flexible. However, attendance in each course needs to be logged each week.
- Extended family travel, except during normal school vacation periods, requires written notification and vacation contract approval by the Head of School or designee. This should be completed at least one week prior to the extended absence.
- All families must attend a Parent Orientation and the new students will attend the “Introduction to Online Learning” course via the OLS.
- Families must maintain regular communication with MGLVA teachers.
- Students and parents/Learning Coaches must check their email and phone messages daily.
- Students must attend all required liveClass Connect sessions for instruction as directed by their teachers.